8:55 AM

DIY Customer Shorts Overalls

Good morning loves!!!!!

While flipping through my inspirations photos, I came across these overall shorts that I saved well over a month ago from here

 
 
First things first.  I decided to draft the short for these overalls from my previous post DIY drafted shorts from an existing pair pictorial
 
 
I widened the seams 1inch in the crotch acrea and 1.5 everywhere else.  I also accounted for the waistband because the these shorts will not have a waistband BUT will have a 1inch higher waist than the original shorts.  I cut (4) pcs exact.
 
 
 
Next it was time to draft the overall.  I wanted the bottom portion of my overall to be 6 inches and curve out from there.  I also wanted my straps to be longer than my estimated lenth of 25" to account for any adjustments I needed to make, so I cut them 32 inches (I did this is 2 pieces)
 
As you can see below I pivetted the angle for my shape because these straps will over over my breast and did not want the portion right over my breast to gape out (this was my oen logic, not any specific technique).  I believe you may be able to achieve the same look with staiaght lines as well. 
 

 
My bib is 10 inches wide (desided width plus 1 inch).  Once I drafted my shape (above) I cut the bottom, and drafted side only.  I then folded the pattern in half to duplicate the shape on the other side.
 
 
 
Next its time to cut out the bib to shape.  I grabbed my curved ruler and drafted out the shape on one side. Again, I choose to but this curve in 7 inches above the bottom of my pattern.
 
 
When doing this, you want to curve your ruler to eliminate any sharp edges!!
 
 
Once drafted, I cut the pattern folded for even duplication.
 
 
Next its time to Sew!!!! 
 
I sewed the seams of all 4 pcs and inserted my side zipper as indicated in my shorts pictorial.
 
Thenext thing I did was put 4 5/8 inch box darts in the fron of the shorts.  (this is consistant with the shape of MY shorts and may differ with yours.
 
 
Next I put 2 standard darts in the back
 
 
After this was completed, I ddouble hemmed the bottom of my shorts and single hemmed the top... Done!
 
 


 
Next its time to insert the Bib.  I pinned the bid to the inside of the waist hem and sew'd along the hem line.
 

Done!
 
 
 
 
Now its time to draft the back bib (if that is what it is called lol).  I pretty much eyeballed this with 2.5 inch width by 9 inchs.
 

 
 
  I drafted the curve with my curved ruler and folder over th duplicate.
 
 

 
Now its time to pin and sew.  The bak bid is sewn exaclty like the front. Ensure you line up the middle of your bibs with your center seams!
 

 



And that is it.  I added 2 bottons the back bid and used my sewing machine to create 2 horizontal button holes.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 



 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 




SHARE:

2 comments

  1. So cute! I love that you made it yourself. It turned out awesome. I'm thinking of doing a similar project with a differently shaped bib/overall part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love that you made it yourself. It turned out awesome. I'm thinking of doing a similar project with a differently shaped bib/overall part.

    ReplyDelete

So what you do think? Comment below!

© Needles and Fashion. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig